RCBM’s Stance on Guns and Mental Illness
Gun control has been a heated and divisive topic for our nation, but RCBM's views on this subject are unwavering. We believe that it is an unnecessary risk for individuals with mental illness to have access to guns.
Symptoms of mental illness vary from one individual to the next. We believe that access to guns is contraindicated in patients with a history of any of the following symptoms:
- -difficulty thinking clearly
- -impulse dycontrol
- -suicidal ideation and/or a past suicide attempt
- -homicidal ideation
- -anger issues and/or violent tendencies
- -psychosis (hallucinations, delusions)
- -carrying a vendetta against another person or entity
We have heard tragic stories of individuals gaining access to guns thought to be secured, so it is our opinion that locking guns away is not enough.
Ultimately, it is up to patients and their families to have this conversation and make the appropriate decisions. We urge you to make SAFETY your highest priority.